Visit my photography blog at
www.picturethis-deborah.blogspot.com

Saturday, September 5, 2009

It's hard to see the silver lining with a blindfold on.

Have you ever told someone an aspiration of yours just to have them rip your dream into tiny pieces and then proceed to stomp on it (which reminds me of Rumpelstiltskin)? Well, I have. I've also had people come along and encourage me, pointing out all the ways I could succeed. When I encounter said dream Rumpelstiltskin stompers, I think of several people in history who didn't let anyone divert them from their goals.
I mean seriously, can you imagine Adolf Hitler getting depressed? "Don't worry Mr. Adolf... you set out to kill hundreds upon thousands and you're accomplishing your goal! In FACT, you're getting closer every day. Not only that-- you're doing a pretty darn good job at that!"
What about Booker T. Washington? He didn't set out to annihilate an entire people group; he just wanted to create something with peanuts. People thought he was crazy... but now, Jiff is one of those things we can't really imagine not having (whether you love it or hate it).
Amelia Earhart--- well... I guess that's not the greatest example, considering she got lost and died and all that...
My point is this... instead of pointing out all the ways that we could possibly fail, why aren't we pointing out the ways that we- and others- could possibly succeed. Sometimes we don't allow OURSELVES to dream because we know that there are so many ways to fail. The possibility of failure keeps us from succeeding. (Or even trying.)
Don't be a Rumpelstiltskin dream stomper.

No comments: