Visit my photography blog at
www.picturethis-deborah.blogspot.com

Friday, July 9, 2010

Reality.

How do you know what things are reality? Do we only see what we want to see?
If I am trying to convince myself of something, or I really want something to be true, I can twist almost anything in such a way that it will support what I want. I think girls are especially good at that... ok it usually refers to boys. ..

"Does he like you?"
"OF COURSE HE DOES!"
"How do you know?"
"Hellooooo... it's obvious... he always talks to me, he laughs at my jokes, he looks deep into my eyes, he gave me a tissue when I was sick, OBVIOUSLY he likes me.... what are YOU missing?"

See my point? I've heard it said that love is blind. Let's throw this out there... infatuation is blind. My parents are very much in love, but my mom is not blind to my dad's smelly socks or the piles of papers he is content with leaving around the house.

How then, can one who is infatuated logically weigh things out?
I think love and infatuation are two terms that are commonly used interchangeably. I think it's ridiculous because they are SO different. But, also, I'd much rather say I'm "in love" than "infatuated." Let's face it... infatuated is a nice-sounding synonym for OBSESSED. WHO wants to say "yes... I am, indeed infatuated with ___." Ummm NO. You want to say you're in love. But I also need to say HELLOOO you're only in love if the other person is in it too. A crush= infatuation. Why am I even writing this? Maybe because I don't want to be infatuated. It is so not all it's cracked up to be. It's actually kind of miserable... not knowing what this other person feels, but meanwhile dreaming of the life you could have together if only they would get with the program. This isn't living our lives freely, is it? I would say not. I may even suggest that this is practicing idolatry.
Again, WHY am I writing this? I am not above this... I am just as guilty (if not more guilty) as any other girl. The ideal picture of being whisked away by the tall, dark and handsome prince charming... riding off into the glorious sunset on his valiant steed. (Which, in Deborah translation is something like a modern-day Gene Kelly singing to me as he drives me away, rescuing me from SOMETHING in his red mustang convertible.)
God has control over our futures; including our prince charmings. That is reality.
So maybe we should stop worrying about whether or not we see these charming young men for who they really are, and instead, seek God's plan for every aspect of our lives. I would rather be able to say that I am completely and totally in love with Jesus, than infatuated with a boy. (I don't think it's possible to be infatuated with God... I think that's a human thing... since God is love.) I don't have to search for subtle hints that God loves-- or even LIKES me... because He makes it abundantly clear, as if He's shouting it from the heavens with a giant megaphone... that I AM LOVED.


David Crowder Band.

He is jealous for me, Loves like a hurricane, I am a tree,
Bending beneath the weight of his wind and mercy.
When all of a sudden, I am unaware of these afflictions eclipsed by glory,
And I realize just how beautiful You are,
And how great Your affections are for me.

And oh, how He loves us oh
Oh how He loves us,
How He loves us all

He is jealous for me, Loves like a hurricane, I am a tree,
Bending beneath the weight of his wind and mercy.
When all of a sudden, I am unaware of these afflictions eclipsed by glory,
And I realize just how beautiful You are,
And how great Your affections are for me.

And oh, how He loves us oh,
Oh how He loves us,
How He loves us all

He loves us,
Oh how He loves us,
Oh how He loves us,
Oh how He loves.

And we are His portion and He is our prize,
Drawn to redemption by the grace in His eyes,
If His grace is an ocean, we’re all sinking.
And heaven meets earth like an unforeseen kiss,
And my heart turns violently inside of my chest,
I don’t have time to maintain these regrets,
When I think about, the way…

That He loves us,
Oh how He loves us,
Oh how He loves us,
Oh how He loves.
Yeah, He loves us,
Oh how He loves us,
Oh how He loves us,
Oh how He loves.

Yeah, He loves us,
Oh how He loves us,
Oh how He loves us,
Oh how He loves.

No comments: