Visit my photography blog at
www.picturethis-deborah.blogspot.com

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Why rush?

I tend to plan things. And, because I tend to plan so much, I tend to want to make things happen... and in a very orderly fashion. Suddenly there are no "long term goals" in my mind... but instead I begin to think that I must make everything happen, and as soon as possible. I begin to figure out how to graduate earlier... how to see all the places I want to see... panic about the fact that I don't have a boyfriend... and completely forget to enjoy the moment that I have. Having goals isn't bad. Planning... isn't bad. Freaking out? That's bad. I often loose sight of God's plan for the day I'm in, because I'm focused on the 5-year plan.
I went to a wedding this morning. A very small, simple ceremony... far from over-doing it, but equally far from diminishing the magnitude of what was taking place. As I sat, watching a dear friend exchange vows, I realized that I am no where close to being ready for that. And, after feeling a little bit sad, I realized the freedom that comes along with it.
The thought of committing my life to someone sounds frightening... but because I don't have anyone that I can imagine trusting that much and being that close to.
Recently, I bought a ring. I wouldn't call it a purity ring, per-se (though I suppose in some ways that is what it is...), but serves as a daily reminder I need. It is two thin pieces of silver, with a knot in the middle. The knot is in the shape of the infinity sign, which reminds me that God's love is everlasting. The two pieces of silver remind me that by myself, I am weak... but I am joined with Christ. If you saw it, you may wonder how I glean such meaning and sentiment from such a simple ring... but it serves as a daily reminder to me that Christ is my all. I am wrapped in HIS love and nothing can separate me from Him.

Yes, I have days where I sit and watch "The Father of the Bride" and sit sobbing, even though it's ended (like today)... but I know that I am held secure in the arms of my heavenly father.
Anyway, to the original intention of this post: WHY RUSH? The Lord has me where I am for a reason. There is a reason for the season, and it is always to bring Him glory.


No comments: